Sunday, June 15, 2014

90 Mile Yard Sale and an Old Cutting Board gets a Patriotic Makeover

This past week was super busy sorting and cleaning all of the treasures that I brought home from the 90 mile yard sale my mother and I went to last weekend.
 
I'm proud to say that I have organized and cleaned everything.
The items that I purchased for my Etsy shop are listed (some have sold!)
and the items I purchased for my new booth space are displayed there.
 
Here are a few of the pieces that I added to my Etsy shop.



 
 
I limited the amount of "project pieces" that I brought home to two.
A small white cabinet that I have madeover and put in my booth.
I'll share that makeover later this week.
and
An antique gateleg table that has been painted red and needs some TLC.
This table is the only piece I haven't worked on yet.
Hopefully later this week I'll have time to get started on it.
 
While gathering the items to take to my booth space, which currently has a nautical, patriotic red, white and blue theme, I decided to paint a flag onto an old cutting board I've had laying around.
 
First, I painted the top of the cutting board white.
 
 
Then, using my Silhouette, I created a circle of stars with the letters USA in the middle out of sticky vinyl. I placed the arrangement of stars and letters onto the upper left corner of the cutting board and taped off a square area before painting over it with blue paint.

 
Once the paint was dry, I removed the vinyl stars and letters
to reveal the design in white paint underneath.
I also taped off areas for stripes and painted the non-taped areas red.

 
After the red paint was dry, I removed the tape.

 
Then I hand sanded the flag to distress it a little
and also hand rubbed an antiquing glaze over it to make it look aged.
 

 
I added a wire to the back for hanging and that's it.
This old cutting board is proudly displayed in my booth. 

 
 
I hope everyone's summer has started off wonderfully.
Have you been working on any projects or decorations for the upcoming July 4th holiday?
 
You can check out some of my patriotic decor from last year here and here.
 
 
Have a great day.
 
 
'til next time,
post signature
 
 
Linking to:
My Repurposed Life

2 comments:

  1. I love it, Adina! I am a patriotic lover all year round, I must admit. I have lots of red, white and blue in my dining room :-) Hope you are enjoying summer so far!!

    Hoping your week is EXTRA BLESSED...

    ~Sherri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sherri, my summer is off to a great start, hope yours is too!

      Delete