Thursday, July 17, 2014

Handmade Farmhouse Signs

Last week a friend stopped by for a visit and a quick lesson on using a Silhouette Cameo machine.
I say quick lesson because I have barely tapped into everything that this machine can do.
 
I'm anxious to see what she creates using her Silhouette.
She's super talented.
She quilts, paints, repurposes and has an adorable daughter, Zoe,
who makes an occasional appearance.
You can visit her blog The Speckled Dog here.
 
After her visit, I was motivated to use my Silhouette to make a few new signs.
 
 
 
 

I started off with unfinished pine boards and painted them black.
I used my Silhouette to create vinyl stencils for the wording.
 

 
 
Once the black paint was dry,
I stuck the vinyl lettering on the boards
and painted over the entire board with white paint.
 

 
 
Once the white paint was dry,
 I peeled off the vinyl lettering to reveal the black design.
 

 
 
Don't worry if you don't have a die cutting machine.
You can make signs using a variety of different techniques.
Click here to see some signs I made using a chalk tracing method.
 

 
 
Then I lightly sanded over the entire sign to distress it
and reveal a little more of the black underneath, especially around the corners and edges.
I also hand rubbed an antique glaze over the signs to give them an aged look.
 

 
 
Lastly, I added eyelet rings on the top of each end of the signs
 and wrapped wire through them to create a hanger.
 
To finish off these farmhouse signs,
I tied a hand torn piece of homespun fabric into a bow on the wire hangers.
 

 
 
 
 
If only I had a bigger kitchen to hang one of them in.
 
A girl can dream, right?
 
I hope you are having a wonderful day and
Id' love to hear about what you've made using a die cutting machine.
 
 
 
'til next time,
post signature
 
 
 
Linking to:
Redoux Interiors
Knick of Time
Sadie Seasongoods
 

5 comments:

  1. How cute! :-) love the bows, too!

    Hope your weekend ius beyond blessed...
    ~Sherri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sherri, thank you so much! I hope your weekend is wonderful too!

      Delete
  2. Eye opening. Had no idea such a thing existed! Thanks for sharing...

    ReplyDelete