Monday, September 15, 2014

Handmade Fall Drop Cloth Pumpkins

With so many fall festivals, vintage markets and craft shows coming up
 I've been busy making fall decor pieces.
 
I wanted to share these cute drop cloth pumpkins and how I made them.
 
 
 


I started out by cutting a pattern out of a manilla folder.
The pattern is shaped kindof like a leaf or football.
 
The largest pumpkin pattern is 7" by 3"
The medium pumpkin pattern is 6" by 2.5"
and the smallest pumpkin pattern is 5" by 2"
 
Using the pattern, I cut 6 pieces of drop cloth for each pumpkin.


 
Next, I made three sets of pairs and stitched the edge of each pair together
 and repeated that on the other 2 pairs.
 
This makes three pieces to the pumpkin now.


 
 
Then I stitched the edge from one pair to the edge from another pair
and repeated this until all of the pieces were connected.
 
Remember to leave a little section open on one end so that you can stuff the pumpkin.
You want the opening to be big enough to put stuffing in the pumpkin,
but not so big that you'll have to hand stitch it closed later.
I made my openings just bigger than my finger,
so that I could stuff small pieces of polyfil into the pumpkin with one finger.
 

 
 
You can turn the pumpkin inside out if you do not want the frayed edges showing.
 
I like the frayed edges, so I left them on the outside.
I stuffed the pumpkin with polyfil through the small opening I left on the top.
 

 
Then I used a large needle and jute twine to create the sections on the pumpkin.
I made a large knot in the end of the twine and pulled the needle from the bottom through the top. (The knot should not be able to be pulled through the bototm.)
 
I looped the twine over one section and pulled the needle from the bottom through the top again
and repeated this in each section.
 

 
 
I left a long tail of twine coming out of the top of the pumpkin.
I used this to create the curly-Q.
 
 


I stuck a pencil in the opening in the top of the pumpkin where the twine is coming out.
Then I wrapped the twine around the pencil and taped the top edge of it to hold it onto the pencil.
Then I applied a light coat of Mod Podge over the twine with a foam brush and let it dry.
The next day, I removed the tape and carefully loosened the twine from the pencil by twisting the pencil and then carefully pulling the pencil out of the curl.
(do not unwind it, you'll lose some of the curl)
 
 

 
Lastly, I used my hot glue gun to glue a cinnamon stick into the opening
and I also glued a faux pumpkin leaf onto the largest pumpkin.



 
 
You will probably need to trim the excess twine off of the knot on the bottom of the pumpkin and also trim up your curly-Q some.
 



The hot glue and decorations should fill in the opening on the top that you used to stuff the pumpkin.
If not, you may want to hand stitch a couple stitches to close the opening.


 
 
 
That's it. It probably sounds more involved than it is.
 It took about an hour to create all three pumpkins.
(not including drying time for the Mod Podge)
 
 
 
 
I like the neutral, rustic look of the drop cloth and twine,
but there are a lot of options with these.
 
- make the pattern longer and wider to make a taller, bigger pumpkin
- use a piece of branch instead of a cinnamon stick as the stem
- add moss or raffia instead of the curly-Q
- use different fabric
 
I also thought they would make sentimental memories
by making them out of fabric from a piece of clothing that your child has outgrown
or from clothing from a loved one.
 
 
 
I do plan to make a few variations of these myself.
What about you, what would you do differently if you were making them?
 
 
'til next time, 
post signature
 
 
 
Linking to:
Inspire Monday
Monday Funday
Vintage Inspiration Party
The Best of DIY
 Moonlight & Mason Jars
Pin Junkie
The Scoop
 

18 comments:

  1. These are adorable! I will have to try them, I have some vintage burlap sacking that would be great I think! Love how you did the curly cues ~Thanks for sharing ~~~waving~~~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Deborah -
      Thank you for the compliment. I think burlap ones would be super cute! I might try that too. :)

      Delete
  2. adina what cute little pumpkins..i made some out of the rubber like net looking shelving stuff no slip oh i can't remember what it is called using twine and wire...was worth it when my grandsons said oooooooh lol xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Sounds like your pumpkins got the best approval possible!

      Delete
  3. These pumpkins are so cute! Great deal. :-)

    Hope you are having a wonderful week...
    ~Sherri

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there! I hopped over from Vintage Inspiration. I prefer decorating for Fall with neutral colors so I really love your pumpkins! Blessings, Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cecilia. I love decorating with neutrals too.

      Delete
  5. I love the way you made these and the only change I would do is to sew a different patterned fabric on every other one. So cute and this will be my project this week, Thanks Anne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anne, and yes different fabrics would look super cute!

      Delete
  6. Hi Adina,
    Thanks for the great tutorial on making these. Their neutral color can be moved from room to room and they look like those white French pumpkins which I like the best.
    Only these would last longer.
    Ginene

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love all of the ornamental pumpkins too. The white one are pretty and I like the greyish green ones too. These definitely won't go bad any time soon :)

      Delete
  7. These are so great! They remind me of my first sewing project, 30 years ago! One of my friend's moms taught some of us how to sew after school, and pumpkins were our first project. I wonder if my mom still has it. Still, I love these white ones, I hope I have some time to make some this year!!! I really like the exposed seams, and the cinnamon stick stems are brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What great memories! How neat if she still has it. Happy Fall!

      Delete
  8. Hello Adina, Coming over for a visit from Beyond the Picket Fence. Love your little pumpkins! I have purchased these sweet little babies but I didn't know how to make them. I think I could do this! Maybe even use a little fabri-tac, instead of sewing? Can't wait to look round your Blog. Thanks for the awesome tutorial :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Laura, thank you and so glad to have you stop by. I hope the tutorial isn't too confusing. Have fun crafting.

      Delete
  9. Your pumpkins are absolutely adorable! And I love that they are white. I don't decorate with orange so I love to see white pumpkins. You've inspired me to make my own!

    ReplyDelete
  10. hello, I used your tutorial to make pumpkins, I love them. you can see them on my blog http://angegabyloisirs.canalblog.com/archives/2014/12/10/30968509.html
    thank you for this exchange.

    ReplyDelete