Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Don't Throw that Away - Furniture Salvage Upcycled into a Coat Rack

You gotta love other peoples trash!
 
This piece of furniture salvage was going to be discarded because most of the ornate wood carvings were broken and had fallen off of it. I loved the shape of it and was more than happy to save it from the burn pile.
 

 
 
This is a picture after I had removed the broken trim pieces and had cleaned it up and sanded it. I was able to keep the trim piece in the top center. I like that it adds a little something to it.


 
 
Once this was sanded, I painted it a creamy off-white color, distressed the edges a little and gave it a clear matte finish.
 
 

 
 
Originally I was thinking I wanted to make this piece into a sign that said ANTIQUES on it, but then I changed my mind. Coat rack kept coming to mind now.  The next step was to visit a Hobby Lobby to see if they had any hooks that caught my eye and they did! I grab 4 of these brass hooks while they were on 50% off and also purchased a package of brass screws to attach them with.
 
 

 
 
Attaching the hooks was trickier than it would seem. A five minute task turned into a half an hour task. Two of the screws did not want to screw in. I'm guessing it was because the wood might have had a knot where I was trying to screw them in at. I had to predrill small holes in order to get the screws to go in. Then the head of one of the screws broke off while screwing it in. Now I had to figure out how to remove a broken screw that was sharp and sticking out of the wood. Needlenose pliers eventually did the job of removing the broken screw. Finally, all four hooks were securely attached and the coat rack was finished!
 
 


 
 
I'm always looking at things with a creative eye to see what I can turn it into.
 I love how this piece turned out, but I don't have the room for it in our little log cabin so it's going in my Etsy shop.
 
 
I'm off to start another project!
 
 
'til next time,
Adina
 
 
 
Linking to
 
 

4 comments:

  1. What a great transformation. I love this idea and the hooks are wonderful I would love for you to link up to my Inspire Me party that is ongoing. http://www.astrollthrulife.net/2013/07/174th-inspire-me-tuesday.html
    Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the transformation.

    It also give me an idea - I have some old shelves in the attic. I want to add color high in my garden. I am going to find those shelves, update them and hang them on the fence to hold flowers.

    thanks for the inspiration

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete