Monday, September 7, 2015

Vintage Dresser gets a Shabby Chalk Paint Makeover

Last Saturday, while I was running errands, I stopped into a Goodwill
 and purchased this vintage dresser.
It was in decent enough shape, but it is not the best quality dresser. 
The top and the sides are laminate over compressed board.
The curvy accents on the top three drawers and the front legs are made from composite plastic.
The drawers are wood, except for the bottoms and they have plastic drawer guides.
The dresser was inexpensive and because it is constructed from so many different types
 of building materials I decided that it would make a good chalk paint practice candidate. 
I haven't used chalk paint a lot on larger projects and wanted to try a "new to me" brand
of chalk paint. It is made by Valspar and you can purchase it at Lowes.
It can be tinted to just about any color that Valspar offers.

I decided on Ultra White because I thought the curves on this dresser 
would be pretty with a shabby chic look.


To prep this dresser for paint, 
I removed the hardware, reattached some of the loose drawer guides 
and filled in a little chipped area on a back leg with wood filler.

I decided to sand the top and sides because they had a little sheen.
Then I wiped the entire piece down with glass cleaner, because it has ammonia in it.


Then I started painting. I painted one coat a day, allowing it to dry overnight between coats.
This piece has 3 coats of chalk paint. 
 I have found that painting white over a darker piece requires more coats than normal.


After the third coat dried overnight, I used 220 sandpaper to hand distress the dresser.
Then I hand rubbed clear wax over the entire piece.
This gives the paint some sheen and a nice smooth finish.


I also painted the original hardware with Krylon satin white spray paint with primer. 
I sprayed numerous very light coats over each drawer pull until they were solid white.
Then I distressed the pulls with the sandpaper too.

After reattaching the drawer pulls my practice candidate was finished!


Now this piece can live on as a flat screen TV stand, buffet in a dining room or as a dresser.


I'm super pleased with how it turned out.

So tell me, have you used chalk paint before and if so,
what have you found to be the pros and cons?


'til next time,
post signature
Linking to:
Lets Talk Vintage
Vintage Inspiration Party

12 comments:

  1. Simply LOVERLY!!!!!!....will you be bringing it to Farm Fresh???( if it is still available?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Debbie! Actually I plan to take it to vintage market at the park in Greer if it's still available. My booth will have more of a primitive/rustic vibe to it. I'm trying to hone in on a rustic farmhouse brand. Look forward to seeing you soon!

      Delete
  2. Great job! I am working my way toward trying out a chalk paint project... yours looks great! Thanks so much for sharing it with "Let's Talk Vintage!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank s Jillian. It's definitely different than regular paint, but I'm learning.

      Delete
  3. It iis so pretty! I think it would make a perfect TV stand!

    Hope you are having a lovely week...
    Sherri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You Sherri! I think so too. I hope you have a blessed week!

      Delete
  4. Did you have to replace the runners on the drawers if so where did you find them. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you're looking to lose weight then you have to try this totally brand new custom keto meal plan.

    To create this keto diet, licenced nutritionists, personal trainers, and top chefs joined together to develop keto meal plans that are powerful, decent, cost-efficient, and fun.

    From their launch in January 2019, thousands of individuals have already completely transformed their figure and well-being with the benefits a certified keto meal plan can provide.

    Speaking of benefits; clicking this link, you'll discover 8 scientifically-confirmed ones given by the keto meal plan.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am curious to find out what blog platform you happen to be using? I'm experiencing some small security problems with my latest website and I would like to find something more secure. Do you have any recommendations?
    beach home decor wholesale

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very good blog you have here but I was wanting to know if you knew of any discussion boards that cover the same topics discussed in this article? I'd really like to be a part of group where I can get suggestions from other knowledgeable individuals that share the same interest. If you have any recommendations, please let me know. Thank you!Bargain Sites Melbourne

    ReplyDelete