Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Rustic Valentines Heart Shaped Topiary

Christmas is over and the cabin feels a little plain right now,
so I decided to add some life to it by making a Valentines topiary.

I like to incorporate fresh plants and flowers in my decor all year long, 
but especially during the winter months when things are bare outside.



Here are the items that I used to make this Valentines topiary.
                                                                     1. pot
                                                                     2. small gravel
                                                                     3. potting soil
                                                                     4. grapevine heart wreath
                                                                     5. ivy plant
                                                                     6. floral wire

I was originally thinking that I would dry brush white paint onto a terra cotta pot,
 but when I looked through my pots I found this red one.

Red just happens to be the main accent color in the cabin 
and it works perfectly for Valentines Day!


I started off by putting a layer of small gravel in the bottom of my pot,
because the pot does not have a drainage hole.
This should help the soil and roots of the plant to not get too wet.

Then I grabbed a stick from the yard and attached it to the base
 of my grapevine wreath with floral wire.

Most craft stores carry heart shaped grapevine wreaths.
I had picked this one up at a thrift store a couple years ago.


Next I added a layer of potting soil over the gravel in my pot
 before transplanting the ivy plant into it.

I purchased the ivy plant at my local grocery store.


Then I pushed the stick, with the heart shaped wreath attached to it,
 into the middle of the ivy plant, through the soil all the way into the gravel.


Then I took a few of the longer ivy vines and 
began to wrap them around the grapevine wreath.


I wrapped a couple vines around each side of the heart
 until I liked the way it looked.


That's it. 
It was quick and easy and the only purchase I made was the plant.
I had everything else on hand already.


Once I placed it inside on my table, I trimmed some of the longer vines.



Those trimmings are in little bottles of water. 
They will grow roots quickly and then I can plant the rooted trimmings
into a pot with soil and have another ivy plant!




I love the pop of green and red on the table 
and it makes a nice Valentines decoration for the cabin.

I also think this topiary would look very pretty in a silver champagne ice bucket. 
It would give it a more sophisticated, chic look.
What do you think?

Do you decorate for Valentines Day ?


'til next time,
post signature
Linking to:
Talk of the Town
Monday Funday Party

10 comments:

  1. This is so cute - must try it! Thanks for sharing it at Talk of the Town this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Angie! I'm excited about gaining a lot of inspiration from your new party!

      Delete
  2. Very, very pretty! I will use your idea to make these for my home and for Valentines gifts. I appreciate the time and energy you took to share this.❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kim! I hope that the recipients of the gifts love them.

      Delete
  3. I love it! Topiaries are my favorite! Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much!I love topiaries too!

      Delete
  4. This is great! It came together perfectly.

    Have a blessed week....
    Sherri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Sherri! I hope your year has started off blessed.

      Delete
  5. Thanks, Adina! I hope your new year has started blessed and will continue to be a great year.

    Xoxo...
    Sherri

    ReplyDelete