Monday, August 11, 2014

Homemade Hummingbird Feeder Water

We had a rainy Sunday here in South Carolina
and I spent some time rocking on the cabin porch watching our hummingbirds.
 
We have eight of them that have been frequenting our feeders daily this summer.
 
I tried to get a few pictures of them to share with you.
I thought I would also share my easy recipe for the homemade sugar water that I make for them.
 
 
 

 
Bring 1 part white sugar and 4 equal parts water to a boil,
let it cool overnight and then fill the feeders.
 
Told you it was easy.
 
 
 
 
I found these cute mason jar feeders at Wal-mart.
I bought two of them and it takes
1 cup sugar and 4 cups water to almost fill both of my feeders.
 
 
 
 
Like I mentioned, we have eight resident hummingbirds and they drink a lot.
I make new water for them every other day because they drink it all.
I clean the feeders each time I give them fresh sugar water.
 

 
 
These sweet little birds dart all around the feeders and our porch.
I really enjoy watching them and
they make such a buzz that my boston terrier, Madison, watches them too.
 

I tried to get a couple pics that captured more than one hummingbird at a time.
 

 
 
They do take breaks every once in a while and rest.
Sometimes on a pair of antlers we have on our porch post.
 
 
 
 
 
Sometimes in the trees around the porch
 
 
 
 
Don't you just love them?
I sure do.
 
 
'til next time,
post signature

6 comments:

  1. Hummingbirds are just so sweet. I have only seen one before. Thanks for sharing.
    Hope you are having a lovely week :-)

    Blessings...
    ~Sherri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sherri. Even though I don't have my ocean, I do have a lot of wildlife that I love :)

      Delete
  2. Ahhhh, jealous! I have only seen them down here once. I don't think they like the heat!! LOVE YOUR BLOG Adina!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You send me a little salty air and I'll send you a hummingbird. Thank you so much Julie! (You know you're welcome anytime, your whole family is)

      Delete
  3. Our hummingbird finally arrived today. I had wasp issues but I think it is resolved. The hummingbirds are so entertaining.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have had a bad wasp issue this summer too. I'm glad your hummingbird arrived. I love them.

      Delete