Thursday, October 24, 2013

Rustic Wood Framed Faux Winter Chalkboard

Brrr
 
Waking up to the coolest temps so far this Fall and the first frost this morning,
makes this faux chalkboard art seem appropriate.
 
 
I had been given this rustic wood frame back in the summer and have held onto it until now.
I love that it has the bark left on the outer edges.
 
 
 
Chalkboards are super "IN" right now and I have yet to create one, but it is on my list of projects. You know that list, the one that never seems to end.

Anyhow, last week while I was putting away some scraps of thin plywood left over from another project that I had already painted black, inspiration hit me. Could I use this painted plywood to create a faux chalkboard sign? Why not. I dug out this frame and began to design a sign.
 
I chose a font I liked and sized the words to fit the frame and printed the words LET IT SNOW.
 
 
I lined the words up and taped them together, then turned them over and colored over the back of the words in chalk. Then turned them back over with the chalk side down and traced around the edges of the letters with a pencil. This created a chalk outline on the black board that I could use as a guide to paint the letters.
 
 

 
 
The snowflakes are hand drawn with a pencil and painted over also.
 
 
I probably should've cut the size board that I needed before painting, but I didn't. I cut the board to fit the frame after painting it. 
 
Now, the big test? If I give the sign a light sanding will it look like a chalkboard?
I gave it a sanding and I think it definitely resembles a chalkboard. It grayed in the black background a little and created more of a transparent paint rather than a solid paint.
Oh - and it's permanent.
 
Next, I glued the sign into the frame.
 

 
Just to add a little protection, I sprayed a clear matte finish over the whole project once it was completed.
 
 
 
I'm super happy with how this sign turned out and am planning to use up the rest of the leftover black plywood to create more signs.
 

 
Check out some of the other projects that I have used this same chalk tracing technique on.
 
 
What do you think  - does it look like a chalkboard to you?
Oh and how's your weather -
 Any snow yet?
 
 
'til next time,
post signature
 
 
Linking to:
52 Mantels
 
Farmhouseporch Scoop Link Party
The Pin Junkie Friday Link Party
A Night Owl Blog Create Inspire Party
Uncommon Designs Online Monday Funday Link Party
Homestories AtoZ Tutorials Tips Link Party
Savvy Southern Style Wow-us-Wednesdays
By Stephanie Lynn
Between Naps on the Porch
The Hankful House

1 comment:

  1. Love this sign! Thanks for linking up at the "Get Your DIY On" link up party! Come back on Sunday with your Thanksgiving or Christmas table!

    ReplyDelete